AUTHENTIC CHURCH | Hurting with Hope | 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
SERMON RECAP: Some of us have recently felt the tearing pain of separation by death. Some of us have recently buried family members and friends. Some of us have received difficult news about our own health. Others of us are walking alongside those dealing with the grief of loss. We’re all touched by death in one way or another and we’re all going to face our own death one day. In light of this, we need God’s word. We need God’s people. And we need crystal clarity concerning our hope. This passage is critical because it clarifies the distinctly Christian hope that’s found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It’s in the gospel and only in the gospel that we have the resources we need to hurt with hope.
Read 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. Read the passage and consider the following questions. Use the text to back up your answers.
1. What is your experience with death and grieving?
Re-read 1 Thessalonians 4:13 and then discuss the following questions.
2. Who is Paul describing when he mentions “those who are asleep?”
Re-read 1 Thessalonians 4:14.
Sunday’s teaching said that Jesus’ death and resurrection are the foundation of
the believer’s hope.
3. Why is Jesus’ death foundational to the believer’s hope?
4. Why is Jesus’ resurrection foundational to the believer’s hope?
Re-read 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17.
Sunday’s teaching said that Jesus’ return is the consummation of the believer’s
5. What will happen to those who’ve died in the faith when Christ returns?
6. What will happen to those believers still alive at Christ’s return?
Re-read 1 Thessalonians 4:18.
7. What is the straight-forward application for us in this passage?
8. Are you grieving right now? Or, are you walking alongside someone who’s grieving?
9. In John 16:20-23 Jesus explains that his followers will grieve unto life so that our hearts will rejoice and we will have everlasting joy. “We grieve unto life by bringing our hurt and pain, sadness, anger, and loneliness to the Lord. We seek Him in Prayer and the Promises in His Word. As we cry out to God he enables us to hold the hope of His promises in one hand and hurt in the other AND by God's grace we will grieve unto life!” How can we at River Market Community Church help each other grieve unto life?
PRAY TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY GROUP.
PRAY OVER YOUR OIKOS DOCUMENT.